Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Golden 40's

I have always loved all things vintage. Ever since I was a little girl, I have loved the clothes from previous eras. For a long time I even thought that I was born in the wrong time and I should have been born sometime in the 20's to the 50's. The amazing thing about sewing is that you can totally create clothes that are inspired by past times and still have the modern conveniences of today!

The skirt I am featuring on this post is called my Golden 40's skirt. The pattern is from Easy McCall's M5856. The skirts on the cover of this pattern are hideous. But I liked the overall shape of the skirt and the pleats. So I decided to give it a try and see if I could make a cute skirt out of it. 
 I saw this skirt on the blog Elle Apparel and that gave me the idea to make this pleat skirt pattern with the golden flower material from Heather Bailey's Nicey Jane collection. Plus the finished product reminded me of a skirt right out of the 40's. That's why I am calling it my Golden 40's skirt.

I love this skirt. It was totally easy to make. I finished it in one night and wore it the next day to church when I was speaking in sacrament meeting. The length is a little long for a pleated skirt, but that's ok, I still really like it. And I love that it is really full and billowy! It makes me feel like a lady.

 The Sunday I wore it, I 40'sed out my hair as well. So this is just a shot of my hair up close.
I plan on making this skirt pattern at least 2 more times. But I think the next one I am going to use the shorter version. I can't wait to start on that skirt. It is also an inspiration from Elle Apparel.

No comments:

Post a Comment